The First Is Always The Hardest, They Say...

I put up a post on SportsCollectors.net about my quest, as well as a few other sites. And I discovered that I'm not the first to try this out. Honestly, that's a bit of a relief: it's nice knowing others have tried and had success, though I may be the first to document it through each step.

It took almost a week to finally get a bite. After posting up in places, mentioning it on the TTMCast podcast, even writing about it on Sports Collectors Daily, it was in the Facebook group Autographed Set Builders Trading Post where Marty Sabin responded and offered some Larry Bowa autographs as a possibility to start. Included among his photo was a 2002 Topps one.

Frank is on his way out...

That got my attention: my friend Arron Littleton, with whom I've gone on many graphing trips, is working on that great gold-bordered set-- one of the few designs that I like from the 2000s. Arron doesn't trade much, but when I told him about the project and that I had a bit of set help for him, he was all in favor of helping.

So as soon as that Bowa card ends up in my hands, it'll be going to Arron almost as quickly. I don't know yet what I'll get in return, but we'll be working on that deal soon. He said he plans to come down for the Dallas Card Show in March, so I bet we'll hash things out then.

I'm heading off to Arizona this week for Spring Training. I'm sure the card will get here from Marty while I'm out, but I'll post it up once I get back.

Comments